Saturday, November 22, 2008


So I'm sitting here a little glum from all the snow outside my window. Ok, it's not really a lot, just a dusting, but it's still snow, and it's not enough to have fun with either. So I was just perusing some of my summertime pictures in preparation for my next 6 months of hibernation! I came across this picture taken early Labour Day morning this year. We have an annual picnic at Cook Forest State Park where it overlooks the beautiful Clarion River, and some of my family traditionally go down early in the morning for breakfast grilled outdoors. This was a perfect late summer day, the sun was shining in a clear sky, with mist just rising from the cooling river. Beautiful!

I was reminded of a great summer, when I looked at my poor potted herbs this morning straining for a glimpse of sunlight beyond my living room window. It doesn't get a whole lot of light during the day, a giant oak stands right outside and the leaves are stubbornly sticking to its branches. Also it's right next to the heat vent, which is not good for them. They were so vibrant and wonderful this summer, and I loved coming home to fresh herbs growing next to my front door. I had hoped to pot some of them and keep them for those cold winter evenings, to make some great hearty soups!

Well, I'm not known for my green thumb and I think that is still true! I'm going to have to watch them carefully this winter and I'm not known for my patience either!! My parsley tends to dry on the vine and my thyme just can't seemed to get a break. But on a better note, my oregano has taken off even more so than in the warmer weather. Now, I just need to keep them watered. I think that just might be an important part of plant care...

No comments: