Thursday, December 4, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving


Here's hoping everyone had a wonderful holiday of Thanksgiving! I've always loved Thanksgiving, probably more so than any other holiday. There's something relaxing about going home to all the good smells and anticipation of roasted turkey with stuffing (my fave as long as mom doesn't slip in any oysters!) mashed potatoes and homemade pies... oh the pies! This year I think we had more pies than main dishes. Let's see, there was an apple pie, sweet potato, mince, a couple orange cheescakes, I have no idea how many pumpkin pies, raisin cream. And we never got to the pecan pie that I know is in the freezer. I guess that one's waiting for the descending family on Christmas! And we must've been so hungry we started going after the empty dishes too! Nah, I just owe my sister a new baking dish! She could hardly believe that I broke her good dish with a spoon...

We also decided to round out our turkey leftovers (of which there wasn't too much left) with a duck. I'd never had duck before and thought it would be fun to try it out. There was just one little problem. My niece is raising a few ducks and is pretty attached to them so we didn't want her or the others turning their noses up at it or bursting into tears. It was difficult trying to say "fowl-poultry" all the time! But the duck was out of the bag, when their dad let it slip. After the meal of course. Eyes went wide and Sheryl asked, "Did you check your ducks this morning?"

As for relaxing on Thanksgiving, we had our dinner in the evening as schedules varied quite a bit, but we all managed to be there on time. I even managed an extra day off as clinics and patients canceled on us for Wednesday.

So I decided, to come up a day early and surprise mom and dad and anyone else who happened to be at the house. I was to stay with my sister down the road so I let her know I was coming early and checked to see the road conditions as there was some snow coming down. Snow's always worse up there.

Well I got on my way and things were going fine, until I decided to use my windshield wipers. I wasn't in desperate need of them but it would've been kinda nice if they'd worked. But no, the driver side wiper made a half hearted effort while the passenger side wiped merrily away.
"You couldn't have switched sides? You couldn't wait til tomorrow?" I griped the whole way up. No way to turn around, and of course the snow was getting thicker. But without light reflecting on the windsheild and having switched to RainX, the water slid right off and I never had a problem. I wouldn't suggest this as a usual mode of travel however. Not highly recommended.
So I was very thankful for my arrival! It had an unusual side effect that caused my car to travel much slower than normal.

Well, I finally made it and dropped a few things off before heading out to my sister's as my final destination. Ooops! Lo and behold, I was stuck in the driveway. I was not going to get to her place after all. I think I left a few rocks on the driveway.

So I got to spend the night with the little kiddos! Oh and the adults too of course! Becca and Ben insisted on a night time snow ball fight with their Aunt. They now think I have bad aim and make a good target for great big lumps of cold wet snow . Which is true...

No comments: